25 July 2014

We Are All Malala

http://ideas.time.com/2012/10/22/the-problem-with-the-we-are-all-trope/
I remember first hearing about Malala Yusufzai back in October 2012 when she was shot by the Taliban. I remember being horrified that the Taliban attempted to assassinate a 14-year-old girl, and I remember being very curious about why she would be targeted. I started reading articles about her. She was a voice standing up for girl's education in Pakistan, while the Taliban was forbidding girls from any education. She wrote under an alias for the BBC of what it was like to live under Taliban rule, and I read several of the articles. She was a modern day Anne Frank, with the words of a little girl living in horrific conditions, reaching out to speak to the world about the conditions in which she was living. The girl was inspiring, as was the catchphrase that caught my attention and my heart, "We are ALL Malala".


Words cannot express how much I enjoyed reading her book I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban.

I loved her story of her life, and I enjoyed the background that was given of the region. While she tells her story, she explains the history of her people, the Pashtuns (a people who helped save the life of Marcus Luttrell who wrote Lone Survivor), Swat, and Pakistan itself. I'm pretty sure most of the Western world does not know the history of how Pakistan was created or the tumultuous history they have experienced. It put the book into perspective of how the Taliban could come to power. She tells of events, which many heard in the news, but we see it from a Pakistani perspective.


Her story is inspiring and eye-opening. It makes you think, and take a look at yourself. It makes you grateful for the education you have, and the ability to open your mouth and speak your mind without fear. It amazes me that a 16 year-old girl has done more to inspire the world than I could hope. She makes me believe that it is possible to educate every boy and girl. Her whole book is quotable, and I wish everyone could read it.

Something I really liked about her book was how important her family is to her, and she shows how her parents have impacted her life.  As I have read about Malala, one of my favorite things was how it is explained that she was once her father's daughter, but now he is "Malala's father". He stepped out of cultural norms to do what he believed is right, and his actions have molded a daughter who has inspired the world.  He taught her the importance of women. 

A man goes out to work, he earns a wage, he comes back home, he eats, he sleeps. That's what he does. Our men think earning money and ordering around others is where power lies. They don't think power is in the hands of the women who takes care of everyone all day long, and gives birth to their children. In our house my mother managed everything because my father was so busy (Yousafzai 116). 
When I read those words, it gave me such joy to see that other people notice the power that women have to influence and change things. Sometimes, people see stay-at-home-mothers as less, but I see them as more. They are the ones that can make the biggest differences. Teach their children correct principles that will impact generations to come. In the book you see this, but you also see how women who are illiterate and without education can be easily manipulated. When people are educated, they can read, think, and draw their own conclusions rather than have someone tell them their own interpretations of things.
http://instagramquotes.blogspot.com/2013/12/malala-yousafzai-quotes-for-facebook.html
She speaks of the fear she lived through, with suicide bombers and the Taliban's reign, and the comfort her father's words gave her:"'At night our fear is strong...but in the morning, in the light, we find our courage again'"(Yousafzai 138).

She's speaking about writing for the BBC under the pen name Gul Makai, which means 'grief-stricken': "I began to see that the pen and the words that come from it can be much more powerful than machine guns, tanks, or helicopters. Awe were learning how to struggle. And we were learning how powerful we are when we speak" (Yousafzai 157).


She speaks of the importance of education and how the Taliban forbid girls from going to school. "'Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow.' Education is neither Eastern nor Western, it is human"(Yousafzai 162).

http://abcworldnews.tumblr.com/post/64023487908/i-dont-mind-if-i-have-to-sit-on-the-floor-at
Under the Taliban's reign, I was reminded of Nazi Germany, where people would turn on their fellow human beings. They were ruled by terror, and people's lives were governed by feelings of self-preservation instead of love for others. Malala said, "some people are afraid of ghosts, some of spiders or snakes --- in those days we were afraid of our fellow human beings" (Yousafzai 166). 

Her father's dream his whole life was to run a school. He believed in education and accountability. He said, "My only ambition...is to educate my children and my nation as much as I am able. But when half of your leaders tell lies and the other half is negotiating with the Taliban, there is nowhere to go. One has to speak out" (Yousafzai 216).

http://paulinemaria.blogspot.com/2013/10/malala-pride-of-britain-another-global.html
Even with all the terrible things in the world around her and being shot, Malala is unwavering in her faith and lives with an attitude of gratitude. "We human beings don't realize how great God is. He has given us an extraordinary brain and a sensitive loving heart. He has blessed us with two lips to talk and express our feelings, two eyes which see a world of colors and beauty, two feet which walk on the road of life, two hands to work for us, a nose which smells the beauty of fragrance, and two ears to hear the words of love. As I found with my ear, no one knows how much power they have in their each and every organ until they lose one"(Yousafzai 300-1).

Her words are so powerful and inspiring. "Don't be afraid --- if you are afraid, you cannot move forward" (Yousafzai 308). 


In the past few years of my life, it has amazed me how many girls I have met that are younger than me and have inspired me. I have been so blessed to meet girls who dream big and remind me to do the same. The Taliban thought they could stop Malala, but they created a stronger voice. We must take the challenges that come our way, and become stronger. We learn from each challenge, to become better, stronger, and wiser. "I want to learn and be trained well with the weapon of knowledge. Then I will be able to fight more effectively for my cause" (Yousafzai 311). We all have a cause, that we can fight for with love and the weapon of knowledge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment