05 April 2012

Best Letter Ever Received!

News: My friend Terrence got his mission call to the England Manchester Mission.

Terrence got his mission call earlier today and posted it on facebook. He said he would open it at the Institute building at 6pm. Honestly I don't know how he could wait soooooo long. When I got my call...well, I tell you about that in a bit. But at 6, I was there. Too bad Terrence wasn't. :) But seriously, he showed up and we waited for some more close friends who were running late. He brought a map and we all put little tabs on where we thought he would go. When everyone arrived, he opened his letter. The foyer became quiet as the spirit grew stronger and Terrence read his letter. When he read "you have been called to serve in the England Manchester Mission..." everyone went nuts with cheering and clapping. He continued to read his report date when he will arrive at the Preston England Mission Center and continued to read the mission call from the prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I was just brought back to the time when I got my mission call and how wonderful that was. I remembered the feelings of joy I had. Everyone cheered for and hugged Terrence. Then someone started singing "Called to Serve" and I almost lost it. I wanted to sing along but the sight of all these Returned Missionaries gathered around singing:

"Called to serve Him, heavenly King of Glory,
Chosen e'er to witness for his name,
Far and wide we tell the Father's story,
Far and wide his love proclaim"

It was so beautiful and the Spirit testified to me of how the message the missionaries teach is true. It reminded me of the joy I felt as a missionary to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. Terrence is going to be amazing. I remember meeting him and talking to him about going on a mission. My thoughts have not changed; it will be the most amazing, wonderful, beautiful, life-changing experience ever. Terrence is a man of faith and inner strength who helps me be a better person.

As I left I started remembering the day I received my mission call. It was 17 October 2009. I just had gotten back home from Ottawa, Canada a few days before, where I was visiting Christina and we both caught the swine flu. It had progressed to bronchitis by the time I got to the doctor back in the US, so I was sick and on antibiotics. It was a Saturday, and for some reason my dad didn't go to the ranch to ride horses and rope cattle (which is a miracle in and of itself). For some reason, I went to the to check the mail, which is not something I normally do. I got the mail, and as I was walking back to the house, I was flipping through the letters and saw it. The Letter. My mission call. I went home and called out for everyone to come down so I could read my letter. I called my brother to see if he could come home, but he wasn't answering the phone. I called a couple of times, and no one picked up, so I left a couple of messages. Then I made the wonderful decision to just open the call! I remember reading the mission call to go to the California Santa Rosa Mission-Spanish Speaking and was so excited along with my parents and little sister. After the excitement wore off, we all looked at each other and asked, "Where is Santa Rosa?" True story. We google-mapped it (it's in northern California), and I was excited. I was excited to serve a mission and to learn Spanish, a language that alluded me for years!

I look back at the 18 months I served as a missionary on behalf of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, teaching people His gospel, and it brings me such joy. I think of the answers I would hear when I asked people who had just received a testimony from God that there was a living prophet on the earth, "What does that mean to you?" I think of people who had a desire to know for themselves if the Book of Mormon is scripture from God and prayed; the happiness and clarity that was in their countenance after they received the confirmation of the Holy Ghost was life-changing. I remember talking to a boy who had never prayed in his life, and we taught him how to pray; the next time he talked to us he told us of his experience and how he felt a comforting presence he had never felt before in his life. I love my mission. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it has been restored to the earth and is found, in its fullness, in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know that God still talks to the world through a living prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I know that the Book of Mormon is Another Testament of Jesus Christ and tells of Gods dealings with His people on the American continents. I know God loves us and will never leave us without guidance.  I know it, and I cannot deny it.

No comments:

Post a Comment